Sunday, March 4, 2012

What do you do?

So, the trip to Kenya got postponed due to safety reasons and Peace Corps policy, but Kristen and I decided to take a short trip to Rome.  It was on this trip while staying in a hostel where we met numerous people that I began to really think about the question that many Peace Corps volunteers probably get, "what do you do?"

While we can all answer that question, in many different ways, it finally dawned on me today, that Peace Corps is so much more about what I learn than what I do.  I wish I could say I've gotten a lot more done.  Not because I don't think I've done anything, I'm happy with what I've done, but simply wish i could have done more.  So, if you've read my blog, you might have an idea of some of the things I've done, but I don't know if I've ever talked about what I've learned.  The reason I think this question is much more poignant is because learning is what floats my boat, even more so than what I do.  The idea that I now know what it's like to live in Albania, that I now KNOW that I'd rather live in an uncomfortably hot rather than an uncomfortably cold location makes me happy.  Especially when I consider that prior to coming to Albania I didn't think that...

So what have I learned? I've learned...

...to communicate better.  Working in a professional setting with the language ability of a 5 year old really makes you think about what you're trying to say, and figure out a way to say it that makes sense to those around you.  I've really grown to enjoy this challenge, although I must say at the beginning it was quite painful and often felt limiting and defeating.  As someone who loves to joke around, finding the comfort in a foreign language to make those jokes is difficult, but you can get huge laughs with jokes that aren't quite as funny simply because sometimes getting to the joke is the funny part.

...to make use of the tools available to me as efficiently as I can.  This is something that I will continually need to work on, but being here, as with the language has helped me think outside the box.  Finding ways to get things done when the tools I'd like to have aren't available. It kinda reminds me of the scene from Apollo 13 where they throw the mismatched box of tools on the table and tell the guys to figure it out.


...to put myself out there.  Whether it was meeting new volunteers, Albanian friends, or anyone for that matter, I've gotten much better than this.  Early on in Peace Corps a volunteer said something like "Peace Corps is about putting yourself in uncomfortable situations and learning from them," and that couldn't have been more right on for me in this instance.  Social situations have always been a bit "uncomforting" to me, and it's something I joined Peace Corps to improve upon, and it's working.

This is me putting myself out there...i led this circle dance at one point....SOBER!

...that although I can live 1,000s of miles away from family and friends, I don't want to.  I've learned this not only through being away, but also through watching the dynamic present in Albanian relationships.  Seeing their dedication to family has led to me questioning how I could possibly have lived in the same city as my sister and mother, and 30 minutes from my father, and not made it a point to see them MORE.  It's something that I plan to do when I get back, and not something I plan to take for granted again.
...

I wrote this blog entry about a month ago with the intentions of adding more to this list...but, i'm not in that writing mode, plus, i think it's long enough at the moment....if i don't like reading more than i page of a blog, why would i put you through it?

so, lookout for part 2..although it might never come...we also had a close of service conference, so i'll have a few notes from that too..hopefully soon! only about 2 months left.....

2 comments:

  1. Jeff -

    I really liked this! puts into words a lot of the things I struggle to describe via phone or blog to the folks back home. Thanks for sharing!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete