Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sometimes it's hard to smile...

But usually it’s hard to stop. As some of you may know about 3 months ago I submitted a Partnership Grant to do complete a Playground Improvement Project in Gramsh for a park that has become run down on the City’s main street. This grant program is a bit unique in that after it is approved by the Peace Corps it is up to the volunteer to raise the funds needed to actually complete the project. All in all, we needed to raise just over $4,000 for the project which will include new equipment for the park, repairing existing equipment, improved landscaping, and a health information component which will be headed by my site mate Kim.

I wasn’t sure what to expect when the time came to ask for donations. Everyone knows that the last couple years in America haven’t been great in terms of the economy and I felt a little strange reaching out to people to ask for money. But I did, and the response was great. I received the donor list of those people who had “checked yes” to share their information with me so I could see that they donated, and keep them in the loop on the project. The list was amazing, it included my family and friends, and family and friends from my site mate Kim, Kim’s dog, and some family and friends of other volunteers who helped spread the word about our project. I cannot express how grateful I am to those of you who helped in any fashion (donations, posting a link, etc.)

My counterpart will be returning next week and that is when we will begin the project. I will keep posting blogs on the project and will send out an email to those of you who provided your emails to keep you apprized of the latest news. Below you can see some pictures of the park in its current condition.

Thanks for all the support.



1 comment:

  1. Are you a municipal development volunteer? If so, what tasks/projects do you do specifically?

    ReplyDelete